To Nicolas G. Dufief
Monticello Dec. 25. 12.
On my return from a journey after an absence of 5. or 6 weeks, I found here your favor of Nov. 5. with Mellish’s map & Simpson’s fluxions. I did not expect to find Philadelphia so little furnished with Mathematical books. my own attachment to the exact sciences has made them the principal enjoiment of my leisure hours. perhaps I may be more succesful in the classical line, in asking for copies of Livy and Tacitus in Latin. any edition in 8vo or any smaller size, of a good type, of either of them will do. but I should prefer Foulis’s Tacitus in 4. vols petit format, or 16s and Tonson’s 12mo edition of Livy in 6. vols, edited I think by Maittaire. I must repeat my request that they may be made up in packages not exceeding the size of an 8vo and one package only to come weekly to avoid burthening any one mail, and indeed to ensure their being permitted to pass with the mail at all.
I ought to apologize to you for troubling you with these minute & troublesome commissions, for which I must appeal to your experienced kindness, & my necessities. Accept the assurance of my thankfulness and of my great esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “M. Dufief”; endorsed by TJ.
foulis’s tacitus: the Glasgow-based printers Robert and Andrew Foulis were prolific publishers of classical works, including the four-volume Tacitus C. Cornelii Taciti Opera quae supersunt (Glasgow, 1753). Livy’s works were not among the numerous editions prepared by the classical scholar Michael maittaire in collaboration with the bookseller Jacob Tonson (ODNB description begins H. C. G. Matthew and Brian Harrison, eds., Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, 2004, 60 vols. description ends ).
- A Description of the British Possessions in North America (Melish) search
- books; on mathematics search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; bookseller search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters to search
- Foulis, Andrew search
- Foulis, Robert search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; reading habits of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives books search
- Livy (Titus Livius); Titi Livii Historiarum Libri search
- Maittaire, Michael search
- mathematics; books on search
- Melish, John; A Description of the British Possessions in North America search
- Simpson, Thomas; The Doctrine and Application of Fluxions search
- Tacitus; Tacitus C. Cornelii Taciti Opera quae supersunt search
- Tacitus C. Cornelii Taciti Opera quae supersunt (Tacitus) search
- The Doctrine and Application of Fluxions (T. Simpson) search
- Titi Livii Historiarum Libri (Livy) search
- Tonson, Jacob search