From John Melish
Philadelphia 15 Decr 1812
I duly received your esteemed favour of February last, and thank you for the information it contained, which I availed myself of in appointing an agent at Richmond.
The “Travels in the United States” is now compleated and will be published to-morrow. By this Post I have sent you a Copy, with a map of the Seat of War, and explanatory Pamphlet;—all of which I beg you will accept; and I shall be happy should they meet your approbation.
RC (DLC); at head of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esq”; endorsed by TJ as received 25 Dec. 1812 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosures: (1) Melish, Travels description begins John Melish, Travels in the United States of America, in the Years 1806 & 1807, and 1809, 1810, & 1811; including an account of passages betwixt America and Britain, and Travels through Various Parts of Great Britain, Ireland, and Upper Canada, Philadelphia, 1812, 2 vols.; Sowerby, no. 4034 description ends . (2) Melish, Map of the Seat of War in North America (Philadelphia, 1812). (3) Melish, A Description of the British Possessions in North America, and of the most important places along the lines in the United States: intended as an accompaniment to Melish’s Map of the Seat of War in North America (Philadelphia, 1812).
- A Description of the British Possessions in North America (Melish) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Melish, John; A Description of the British Possessions in North America search
- Melish, John; letters from search
- Melish, John; Travels in the United States of America search
- Travels in the United States of America (J. Melish) search