Account with Craven Peyton for his Lease of Shadwell
|Craven Peyton in acct for lease of Shadwell with Th: Jefferson||Dr|
|1800.||Oct.||15.||To one year’s rent of Shadwell due this day||£48– 0–0|
|1801.||Oct.||15.||To do for this year due this day||48– 0–0|
|1800||By half the expences of||repairing the East end of Dwelling house||21–17–3|
|By do||building the West end||24– 7–6|
|1802||May||22.||By pd Wm Woods ⁴⁄₁₀ of fee surveying Henderson’s land||9– 8–8|
|By balance due Th: Jefferson carried to another acct||40– 6–7|
MS (DLC: TJ Papers, 194:34556); in TJ’s hand; undated; on recto of first page of following enclosure; with an apparently unrelated calculation in an unidentified hand at foot of text.
TJ’s 1 Oct. 1799 agreement with Peyton for the lease of part of shadwell stipulated that the annual rent of “one hundred & sixty dollars in the gold or silver coin of the United States” would be paid each 15 Oct., with Peyton responsible for upkeep of the property and “all taxes levies & assessments” and entitled to stock-grazing rights and wood for his own use. Peyton evidently relinquished the five-year lease after two years (PTJ description begins Julian P. Boyd, Charles T. Cullen, John Catanzariti, Barbara B. Oberg, and others, eds., The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, 1950– , 34 vols. description ends , 31:197–200).
- Henderson, Bennett Hillsborough; and Milton lands search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; Account with Craven Peyton for his Lease of Shadwell search
- Peyton, Craven; account with TJ search
- Shadwell (TJ’s estate); account for lease to C. Peyton search
- surveying; and Henderson land search
- Woods, William; surveys Henderson land search