From Joseph Slaughter
September 2nt 1812
I am willing to attend on Monday next at Aney Place you will name for the purpose of Taking depositions I have Some Business at your Smiths Shop Tomorow and will Call and se you
RC (ViU: TJP); at foot of text: “Tho Jefferson Esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 2 Sept. 1812 and so recorded in SJL.
new london is located in Campbell County about three miles from TJ’s Poplar Forest estate. The aforesaid officials lived in neighboring Bedford County (Bedford Co. Order Book, 16:88–9, 92).
1. Manuscript: “depsitions.”
- Irvine, William search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; dispute with S. Scott search
- Leftwich, Jabez search
- Leftwich, Joel search
- New London, Va.; mentioned search
- Sanders, David search
- Scott, Samuel; TJ’s land dispute with search
- Scott v. Jefferson and Harrison; TJ prepares for chancery case search
- Slaughter, Joseph; and TJ’s land dispute with S. Scott search
- Slaughter, Joseph; letters from search