To Benjamin Jones
Monticello June 17. 12.
I this day write to Messrs Gibson & Jefferson to remit you 200.D. on my account, and have to request you to send me the articles below stated, and as quickly as possible, as I apprehend that every day may increase the danger of a safe passage by sea. I have at the same time to request you to make the small paiments for me below stated. they are such as cannot be separately remitted to the persons. Accept the assurance of my esteem & respect
1. ton of nail rod, to include a single bundle of half crown iron.
a quarter ton of Swedish or other tough1 bar iron, in bars of 2.I. breadth, and from ¼ I. to 1.I. thickness.
a crank for a sawmill of wrought iron.
10.℔ of tin, pure for tinning copper vessels.
|to be paid||to M. Dufief bookseller Phila 2. D 50 c|
|to Benjamin & Thos Kite printers. 1. Dollar|
|to Thomas Hope ship broker near the custom house, arrearages for his Price current, & a year in advance|
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Mr Benjamin Jones”; endorsed by TJ.
Writing on behalf of Nicolas G. dufief, William Christie prepared a receipt dated Philadelphia, 29 June 1812, for $2.50 received from TJ via Jones “on Acct of Books” (MS in DLC; in Christie’s hand; on a small scrap of paper; endorsed by TJ: “Dufief rect”). The receipt may have been enclosed in a missing letter of 29 June 1812 from Jones that is recorded in SJL as received from Philadelphia on 8 July 1812. thomas hope published Hope’s Philadelphia Price-Current, and Commercial Record, a weekly newspaper that ran from 1804 until the end of 1813 (Brigham, American Newspapers description begins Clarence S. Brigham, History and Bibliography of American Newspapers, 1690–1820, 1947, 2 vols. description ends , 2:918).
1. Preceding three words interlined.
- Christie, William search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; bookseller search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and books acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and building materials acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and periodicals acquired by TJ search
- Hope, Thomas (of Philadelphia); Hope’s Philadelphia Price-Current, and Commercial Record search
- Hope’s Philadelphia Price-Current, and Commercial Record (T. Hope) search
- iron; bar (Swedish) search
- Jones, Benjamin; letters from accounted for search
- Jones, Benjamin; letters to search
- Jones, Benjamin; TJ pays search
- Jones & Howell (Philadelphia firm); TJ orders nailrod and iron stock from search
- Kite, Benjamin & Thomas (Philadelphia firm); TJ pays search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); sawmill at search
- naileries; nailrod and iron stock search
- newspapers; Hope’s Philadelphia Price-Current and Commercial Record search
- Philadelphia; newspapers in search
- sawmill; at Monticello search
- Swedish iron search
- tin search