To John Redman Coxe
Monticello June 2. 12.
I have duly recieved your favor of May 6. covering the 1st No of the Emporium of arts and sciences, for which be pleased to accept my thanks. duly impressed with the value of such a work, under so able a direction, I had subscribed to it in1 April last, under cover to Mr de la Plaine, who, I am in hopes will continue to send it to me. the course which you have prescribed yourself for the work is so entirely judicious, that I do not know that any thing can be suggested for it’s improvement. I shall certainly not fail to embrace any occasion which may offer of being useful to the work, either by promoting it’s circulation, or recommending it as a channel to those who have useful things to communicate. Accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Dr J. R. Coxe”; endorsed by TJ.
1. Manuscript: “to in in.”
- Coxe, John Redman; and Emporium of Arts & Sciences search
- Coxe, John Redman; letters to search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; and Emporium of Arts & Sciences search
- Emporium of Arts & Sciences; TJ subscribes to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; subscriptions search
- subscriptions, for publications; journals search