Notes on Expenses
[ca. 1 May 1812]
|cash left with mr Bacon||135.|
MS (MHi); written in TJ’s hand on reused address cover to TJ, with each instance of “Paid” and “paid,” the words “paid Hogg for oats,” and calculations on verso in an unidentified hand; endorsed by TJ: “Hogg William”; with receipt by Hogg on verso: “1st June 1812 Rd of Tho Jefferson four pounds on act Oats William Hogg”; conjoined with Dft of TJ’s Account with Isham Chisholm, [ca. 1 May 1812].
On 1 May 1812 TJ gave $135 to Edmund Bacon and instructed him to make the payments specified above. The payment to Nimrod Bramham (branham) settled an account at his store. Those to Frank carr and Charles Everette (everett) were for medical services. Isham Chisholm (chisolm) received the balance due for retrieving James Hubbard, and mrs price was paid for four geese. A month later TJ directed Bacon to pay William hogg twelve dollars for oats (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1276, 1279).
1. Here is canceled “$6.83,” written in an unidentified hand.
2. Here is canceled “10 D.,” written in an unidentified hand.
- Bacon, Edmund; pays TJ’s expenses search
- Bramham, Nimrod; account with TJ search
- Carr, Frank; account with TJ search
- Chisholm, Isham; account with TJ search
- Chisholm, Isham; tracks runaway slave search
- Everette, Charles; account with TJ search
- Gillum, John; paid for oats search
- Gooch, Thomas; paid for oats search
- Hogg, William; paid for oats search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Notes on Expenses search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Overseers at; plantation management by search
- overseers; plantation management by search
- Price, Mrs. (Joseph Price’s wife); sells geese search