From John Barnes
George Town 27th March, 1812.
|To J Milligan for||$65.||12½|
|Mr Foxall promised to send me||55.||46½|
|Clerk, his Acct (not yet recd) 2|
Barry presented to me, Minute
of his former a/c stated by yourself
wherein you Credited for a diamond
which he has promised to explain
to you & I requested him (when so done) 3
to call on me; for payment—
|deducting Messr G & Js order||200.|
|will be placed to yr debit wth me—||$6.||14.||if correct.|
no present hopes of succeeding in the purchase of a sett of exchange—on France.—
cannot you induce Mr Warden or some other friend—to procure for me a sett—to the Value of $1000 or 1100—which I shd be inabled to pay for, on accot of the good General! referring you to my late letters of the 13th and 16th Ulto—
I am Dear Sir—most Respectfully—
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 8 Apr. 1812 and so recorded in SJL.
1. Manuscript: “Applid.”
2. Omitted closing parenthesis editorially supplied.
3. Omitted closing parenthesis editorially supplied.
- Bank of Columbia search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; as TJ’s agent search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Barry, Richard; TJ makes payments to search
- diamonds; purchased by TJ search
- Foxall, Henry; payment from TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and T. Kosciuszko’s arrangement with TJ search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search
- Milligan, Joseph; TJ pays search
- Warden, David Bailie; and remittances to T. Kosciuszko search
- Weightman, Roger Chew; TJ pays search