From Samuel J. Harrison
Lynchbg Mar 13. 1812
your Dft in favor of Brown & Co paye the 1st of next Month for $600. has appeard & wishing it Should be Honor’d have accepted it, & Shall pay it at maturity.
If you have intended this Dft as a part of the last payment for the Land, (which from its having been made payable at the Same time it would Seem that you have) I here inform you that I do not expect to make that payment untill the Title Shall be fully clear’d—Scott having Sued both you & me for a Valuable part of the Tract.
Now however frivolous this Suit may be thought to be; yet I ought not, nor Can I believe that you wish me to be Involved in any Trouble about it; which would Evidently you Know be the Case, in the Event of your Death, before the Suit Shall be Decided.
I am Sorry that Scott is So Troublesome, and hope you will not think hard of me for withholding the £400. untill I Shall have Received an undoubted Title to the Land; for I asure you it would be but little Consequence to me, did I not believe that Justice to myself & Family Required that I Should do So.
I here Enclose you the Bond for the last Payment, which has been allways Ready for you had Mr Griffin applied as you directed him.1
The $600. will of course be deducted out of the Tobo—
S J Harrison
RC (ViU: TJP); endorsed by TJ as received 1 Apr. 1812 and so recorded in SJL. Tr (ViU: TJP); entirely in TJ’s hand; at head of text: “letter from mr Saml J. Harrison to Th: Jefferson.” Enclosure not found.
On 29 Feb. 1812 TJ drew an order on Harrison for $600 in favor of Archibald Robertson, partner of the late William brown, to be credited to his “store acct.” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1273; TJ to Robertson, 1 Mar. 1812).
1. Paragraph omitted in Tr.
- Brown & Robertson (Lynchburg firm); TJ’s account with search
- Griffin, Burgess; Poplar Forest overseer search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; and TJ’s land dispute with S. Scott search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; buys land from TJ search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; buys tobacco from TJ search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; letters from search
- Ivy Creek (Campbell Co.); S. Scott claims TJ’s land on search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; dispute with S. Scott search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; sells tobacco search
- overseers; and sale of tobacco to S. J. Harrison search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); Overseers at; and sale of tobacco to S. J. Harrison search
- Robertson, Archibald; TJ pays search
- Scott, Samuel; TJ’s land dispute with search
- tobacco; TJ’s income from search