From George Hay
Richmond. Jany 29. 1812—
I ought to ask your pardon, and I do ask it for having So long delayed to answer your last letter, and to comply with the requisition which that letter contained. You will be disposed to grant it, I am Sure, when I inform you that much of my time has been occupied by business in Court, which pressed most heavily upon me, and much of it devoted to duties arising from the recent calamity which this City has Sustained.
I shall deposit at the Stage office this evening all the books and documents received from you. The list is Subjoined—
|1.||e manuscript defence|
|4 printed pamphlets tied together marked by you No 1.|
|4. do do do do—unmarked—the first being “addresse au conseil Legislatif &c ”1 by Poydras.|
|4.||a printed pamphlet marked on the title page by myself—A|
|5.||one bound octavo, labelled “Batture 1808”2|
|one do thin quarto do do do|
|7.||Collection of pamphlets printed & written: the first leaf containing an address or direction to “The honl Albert Gallatin &c”3|
|8.||a quarto printed pamphlet entitled “Examen de la Sentence &c”|
|do entitled Memoire a Consulter &c|
|10.||do entitled—Pieces probantes—|
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 2 Feb. 1812 and so recorded (as a letter of 30 Jan.) in SJL. Enclosure: TJ’s Statement on the Batture Case, 31 July 1810. Other enclosures described at enclosure to Robert Smith to TJ, 4 June 1810, note to William C. C. Claiborne to TJ, 11 Aug. 1810, and enclosure to TJ to George Hay and William Wirt, 23 Mar. 1811.
The recent calamity was the Richmond Theatre fire of 26 Dec. 1811 (Richmond Enquirer, 31 Dec. 1811).
1. Omitted closing quotation mark editorially supplied.
2. Omitted closing quotation mark editorially supplied.
3. Omitted closing quotation mark editorially supplied.
- Adresse au Conseil Legislatif du Territoire d’Orleans (Poydras) search
- Batture Sainte Marie, controversy over; TJ receives documents search
- Derbigny, Pierre (Peter) Augustin Bourguignon; Mémoire a Consulter, sur la Réclamation de la Batture, Située en Face du Faubourg Sainte-Marie de la Nouvelle-Orléans search
- Examen de la Sentence rendue dans la Cause entre Jean Gravier et la Ville de la Nouvelle-Orléans (Moreau Lislet) search
- Gallatin, Albert; and batture controversy search
- Hay, George; and TJ’s Statement of Facts in the Batture Case search
- Hay, George; letters from search
- Hay, George; returns batture materials to TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; statement on the batture case search
- Mémoire a Consulter, sur la Réclamation de la Batture, Située en Face du Faubourg Sainte-Marie de la Nouvelle-Orléans (Derbigny) search
- Moreau Lislet, Louis; Examen de la Sentence rendue dans la Cause entre Jean Gravier et la Ville de la Nouvelle-Orléans search
- Pieces Probantes search
- Poydras, Julien Lalande; Adresse au Conseil Legislatif du Territoire d’Orleans search
- Richmond, Va.; fires in search
- statement on the batture case (Thomas Jefferson); copies of returned to TJ search