From Edward Coles
Washington Oct. 25th 1811
I shiped yesterday on board the schooner Goodintent, Elliott Kirwan, Master, bound for Richmond, the seven Boxes left here by Mr Barlow containing your Papers &c, and shall this day forward the Bill of Lading to Messrs Gibson & Jefferson, to whose care I have directed them. You desired me to return you an estimate of the expences1 that might be incured before they were shiped, but as they were conveyed to the wharf by Mr Oneale, who is the owner of the Vessel, he has charged the Drayage, with the freight, in the bill of lading, which will be paid in Richmond by Messrs Gibson & Jefferson.
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “Th: Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 29 Oct. 1811, but recorded in SJL as received two days earlier.
1. Manuscript: “expencces.”
- Barlow, Joel; and TJ’s belongings in Washington search
- Coles, Edward; and TJ’s Washington effects search
- Coles, Edward; letters from search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Goodintent (schooner) search
- Kirwan, Elliott; master of Good intent search
- Oneale, Mr. (ship owner) search