To John Bracken
Monticello Oct. 9. 11.
I duly recieved your favor of Aug. 13. stating the ineffectual effort you had made to remit to the sisters of Bellini the amount of their claim on his effects. they are very old, said to be in great poverty & distress, and therefore entitled in charity to our good offices in conveying their money to them. a remittance thro’ England to the continent of Europe is now impracticable, & a direct one to Italy scarcely to be expected. a fortunate medium happens however now to occur. mr George Jefferson of the house of Gibson & Jefferson in Richmond, is going, within a month or two, to Lisbon, as Consul of the US. and can readily make any remittance from thence to Leghorn. any sum of money therefore which you will be pleased to deposit in his hands for these old ladies, I hereby make myself responsible to yourself & them for his faithful care in conveying or remitting to them. if you think it safer for yourself to deposit it in the bank of Richmond “on1 account of the sisters of Bellini,” subject to the order of either mr Jefferson or myself, our agency for remitting it to them shall still be exerted. Accept the assurances of my great respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “The revd John Bracken”; endorsed by TJ. Probably enclosed in TJ to Robert Saunders, 25 Dec. 1815 and Saunders to TJ, 20 Feb. 1816.
A letter from george jefferson to TJ of 3 Oct. 1811, not found, is recorded in SJL as received from Richmond on 6 Oct. 1811.
1. Mismatched opening single quotation mark editorially changed to double quotation mark.
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- Bellini, Aurora (Maria Aurora Gaspera); and C. Bellini estate search
- Bellini, Charles (Carlo Maria Marchionne); estate of search
- Bellini, Luisa (Louisa; Maria Luisa Eleonora); and C. Bellini estate search
- Bracken, John; and C. Bellini estate search
- Bracken, John; letters to search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); mentioned search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and C. Bellini estate search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and consulship at Lisbon search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from accounted for search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and C. Bellini estate search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Lisbon; U.S. consulship at search
- Portugal; U.S. consulship in search
- Richmond, Va.; Bank of Virginia search