La grange 12h 7ber 1811
My dear friend
Altho’ my Letters to you Have for a very Long time Remained unanswered, I Cannot let madame de puzy Go to America without these lines from me—Not that she is in Need of a Recommendation to the friend upon whose Sentiments for Herself and Her parents she and Her children are chiefly to depend. she abandons the prospects to which the Distinguished Services of Her Husband, not only in our times, But under the present Government did Entitle them. Her daughter, the little Sara you Have known, is now an Accomplished young Lady— Her Son is very promising and will do Honour to Any profession He Embraces—your good advice and kind offices will not Be wanting to them. to Entreat would be on my part Superfluous—But to Enjoy the testimonies of your kindness to that family will Be Equally proper and pleasing.
mr Barlow is Every day Expected—we Have Long been without Any particular intelligences. those from mexico and South Spain give us the prospect of an independance which I did Early and more than Ever do wish to See Extended to Every part of America. most affectionately, tho’ very Angrily at your Silence, I am Your friend
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 3 June 1812 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosed in Madame Bureaux de Pusy to TJ, 23 May 1812.
south spain probably refers to the Spanish colonial possessions in Central and South America.
- Barlow, Joel; U.S. minister to France search
- Bureaux de Pusy, Françoise Julienne Isle de France Poivre; letter of introduction for, from Lafayette search
- Bureaux de Pusy, Jean Xavier; and Lafayette search
- Bureaux de Pusy, Maurice; and Lafayette search
- Bureaux de Pusy, Sara; and Lafayette search
- Du Pont de Nemours, Françoise Robin Poivre (Pierre Samuel Du Pont de Nemours’s wife); and Julienne Bureaux de Pusy search
- Du Pont de Nemours, Pierre Samuel; and Bureaux de Pusy family search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction to search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; and Bureaux de Pusy family search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; letters from search