Preliminary Agreement with William & Reuben Mitchell
[ca. 16 Aug. 1811]
We will purchase Mr Jeffersons crop Wheat & will give him Within 2/31 of the Richmd price at the time of delivery Payable in a 60 day bill on Richmd, or will grind it on the usual terms & deliver the Flour 60 days after the delivery of the Wheat—
W. & R M
[Notation by TJ on verso:]
Mr Mitchell agrees to give within 2/ a bushel of the best price which shall be given in Richmd from this day for 40. day to come (Aug. 17. to Sep. 26.) the wheat2 to be delivered at Lynchbg as fast as one team can carry it in & the money3 payable in Richmond within 60. days after the 6th of Sep.
MS (MHi); written on a small scrap by a representative of William & Reuben Mitchell; undated, with notation added by TJ on 17 Aug. 1811.
The Lynchburg firm of William & Reuben Mitchell bought wheat from and ground flour for TJ’s Poplar Forest plantation on various occasions between 1810 and 1819. William Mitchell (d. 1824) subscribed $50 to the nascent University of Virginia in 1821 and paid it the following year. He retired to Amherst County and declared bankruptcy shortly before his death. Reuben Mitchell (d. 1828) resided in Richmond for some years (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1270, 1277, 1380, 1389; TJ’s account with William Mitchell, Apr. 1817; Amherst Co. Will Book, 6:596; Lynchburg Virginian, 18 June 1824; Richmond Commercial Compiler, 31 Oct. 1828).
1. Amount interlined in place of “two shillings.”
2. Preceding two words interlined.
3. Preceding three words interlined.
- flour; from Poplar Forest search
- flour; price of search
- Mitchell, Reuben; identified search
- Mitchell, William; identified search
- Mitchell, William & Reuben (Lynchburg firm); agreements with search
- Mitchell, William & Reuben (Lynchburg firm); identified search
- Mitchell, William & Reuben (Lynchburg firm); TJ’s transactions with search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); flour from search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); wheat grown at search
- Richmond, Va.; flour prices at search
- Richmond, Va.; wheat prices in search
- wheat; at Poplar Forest search
- wheat; price of in Richmond search
- wheat; TJ’s income from search