From John Bracken
Wmsburg Aug 13. 1811
Two days ago I received your letter of Aug. 2. & have to observe, in answer thereto, that in compliance with Mr Mazzei’s request, I remitted to him by one of U.S. Ships bound up the Mediterranean a bill purchased of Mr Rutherfoord on London Jan. 1807. I sent some time after a duplicate by another national Vessel, & I enclosed a triplicate to my friend Mr Munroe then in London to present for acceptance, which he obtained & left the Bill with his Merchant Mr John Rennolds. Not knowing whether to attribute the want of application for payment to death or the circumstances of Europe, I two years ago requested Mr Rennolds to apply for payment in my name, which was refused without an indemnification against Mazzei, as the bill was made payable to him. This cou’d not be expected from Mr Rennolds, to whom I was a stranger, but has lately been complied with by Mr Saml Gist, who authorizes me to receive the amount from his Dividend in the Dismal Swamp Land Company. If you can point out to me any safe opportunity of remittance by which I may be exonerated, I will with readiness embrace it; or if you will yourself receive the Money on behalf of Mr Mazzei, & the two old Ladies, I will deposit it in your hands.
Ps I shall in a few days set off for Frederic with my daughter whose state of health requires a change of climate & not return before the 15. Oct.
RC (DLC); dateline adjacent to signature; endorsed by TJ as received 5 Sept. 1811 and so recorded in SJL. Probably enclosed in TJ to Robert Saunders, 25 Dec. 1815 and Saunders to TJ, 20 Feb. 1816.
- Bellini, Aurora (Maria Aurora Gaspera); and C. Bellini estate search
- Bellini, Luisa (Louisa; Maria Luisa Eleonora); and C. Bellini estate search
- Bracken, John; and C. Bellini estate search
- Bracken, John; letters from search
- Bracken, Miss (John Bracken’s daughter); health of search
- Dismal Swamp Land Company search
- Gist, Samuel; and C. Bellini estate search
- Mazzei, Philip; and C. Bellini’s sisters search
- Monroe, James; and C. Bellini estate search
- Rennolds, John; and C. Bellini estate search
- Rutherfoord, Thomas; and C. Bellini estate search