To Nicolas G. Dufief
Monticello Aug. 4. 11.
I recieved some time ago your valuable dictionary, and have now had time & trial enough to pronounce it the very best French & English dictionary which has ever been published. it’s handy size too increases it’s convenience. the 3d volume is a treasure. I only wish it’s numerous alphabets had been digested into a single one to save the double research first for the proper alphabet, & then for the article wanted from it. will you be so good as to note to me the price which I will take care to remit you as soon as known. I am anxious to get a copy of La Croix’s Cours de Mathematiques, (I believe it is in 7. vols 8vo) but I think I have learnt that you have ceased to act in the bookselling line. I formerly had some dealings with Messrs Roches, freres, booksellers of Philadelphia. if my information as to yourself is right, perhaps they would be so kind as to send me a copy with a note of it’s amount which should be promptly remitted them. it might come any week by vessels bound to Richmond, & if addressed to Messrs Gibson & Jefferson there would come safely to me. Accept the assurances of my esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “M. Dufief”; endorsed by TJ.
Sylvestre François Lacroix’s (la croix’s) Cours de Mathematiques à l’usage de l’École Centrale des Quatres-Nations, 7 vols. (Paris, 1802–07; Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library  description ends , 8 [no. 391]), reissued separate works on geometry, arithmetic, trigonometry, algebra, education, and differential and integral calculus (DSB description begins Charles C. Gillispie, ed., Dictionary of Scientific Biography, 1970–80, 16 vols. description ends ). Between 1805 and 1807 TJ purchased a number of works from P. & C. Roche, booksellers in Philadelphia, a partnership of Peter Roche and his brother Christian Roche (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1155, 1177, 1206, 1214; James Robinson, The Philadelphia Directory for 1807 [Philadelphia, 1807]).
- A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages (N. G. Dufief) search
- Cours de Mathematiques à l’usage de l’École Centrale des Quatres-Nations (S. F. Lacroix) search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; bookseller search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters to search
- French language; dictionaries search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and books acquired by TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives books search
- Lacroix, Sylvestre François; Cours de Mathematiques à l’usage de l’École Centrale des Quatres-Nations search
- Roche, Christian; member of P. & C. Roche search
- Roche, P. & C.; Philadelphia bookselling firm search
- Roche, Peter; member of P. & C. Roche search