From George Jefferson
Richmond 25th July 1811
I inclose as you direct 200$.—I likewise inclose an account of the sale of your last 54 barrels of flour, the net proceeds as you will observe, being $:429.¹⁷⁄₁₀₀.—This should have been forwarded some time ago, had I not received a letter from you informing me there was more to come down, which induced me to keep it back, with the view of including the whole in one account. As however no more has yet arrived, I conclude that you must have been mistaken as to the quantity. I yesterday sent up by Johnson, some nail rod & iron lately received, together with a small box received some time ago.— I will endeavour to sell your Tobacco seperately as you suggest, but fear the chance is bad, as the demand even for the very finest quality has greatly subsided.
RC (MHi); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 28 July 1811 and so recorded in SJL.
A letter from TJ to Jefferson of 21 July 1811, recorded in SJL but not found, probably dealt with TJ’s completion that day of the payment of Tufton overseer William McGehee’s 1810 wages by drawing on Gibson & Jefferson for $180 in McGehee’s favor (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1267). A letter from TJ to Jefferson of 22 July 1811, previously accounted for above, was located after print publication of this volume, has been added digitally, and will appear in the concluding supplement to the print edition.
- boats; transfer goods to and from Richmond search
- flour; price of search
- flour; sale of search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and building materials acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); flour sold for TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); tobacco sold for TJ search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and goods for TJ search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to accounted for search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); sells TJ’s flour search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); sells TJ’s tobacco search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; sells tobacco search
- Johnson, William (waterman); transports goods from Richmond search
- McGehee, William; Tufton overseer search
- naileries; nailrod and iron stock search
- overseers; TJ’s accounts with search
- Richmond, Va.; boats transfer goods to and from search
- Richmond, Va.; flour prices at search
- Tufton (TJ’s Albemarle Co. estate); overseers at search