To Mary Lewis
July 12. 11.
Th: Jefferson presents his friendly salutations to mrs Lewis1 and sends her2 some figs, of the few which come forward at this season. if she has cucumbers to spare he will avail himself of her kind offer of them, his own being not yet advanced, and the drought of May & June having left him without lettuce.
RC (ViU: Peter Coolidge Deposit); dateline at foot of text. Not recorded in SJL.
1. Preceding three words interlined.
2. TJ here canceled “a few figs.”
- cucumbers search
- figs; grown at Monticello search
- food; cucumbers search
- food; figs search
- food; lettuce search
- lettuce; impact of drought on search
- Lewis, Mary Walker (Nicholas Lewis’s wife); letters to search
- Lewis, Mary Walker (Nicholas Lewis’s wife); TJ sends figs to search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); fig trees at search
- weather; drought search
- weather; effect on crops search
- women; letters to; M. Lewis search