Monticello July 10. 11.
My dear Sir
Since writing my letter of the day before yesterday I have recieved by post the inclosed copy of the Review of Montesquieu which I hasten to forward thro’ you to M. Tracy. had I another it should have been devoted to you. it is even doubtful whether this may reach Washington in time to find mr Warden still there. I am not without hopes he will have been able to get a copy & carry [it]1 with him. ever affectionately Yours
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “M. de la Fayette”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: Destutt de Tracy, Commentary and Review of Montesquieu’s Spirit of Laws. Enclosed in TJ to David Bailie Warden, 10 July 1811.
1. Omitted word editorially supplied.
- Commentary and Review of Montesquieu’s Spirit of Laws (Destutt de Tracy); TJ forwards to Destutt de Tracy search
- Destutt de Tracy, Antoine Louis Claude; Commentary and Review of Montesquieu’s Spirit of Laws search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; sends books search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; letters to search
- Warden, David Bailie; carries TJ’s letters to France search