To Edward Parker and Joseph Delaplaine
Monticello Apr. [May] 7. 11.
Th: Jefferson presents his compliments to Messrs Edward Parker & Joseph Delaplaine, and his thanks for the communication of their prospectus for reprinting the Edinburgh Encyclopaedia. possessing already every Encyclopedia which has been published in France, Great Britain & America, & a library moreover vastly beyond his present wants, he has for some time ceased to make additions to it, & especially to engage for works which will take a longer time to compleat than he has probably to live. he therefore begs leave to decline becoming a subscriber to the work they propose to publish, tendering them at the same time his best wishes for it’s success & the assurances of his respect.
PoC (DLC: TJ Papers, 193:34279); misdated; dateline below body of letter; at foot of text: “Messrs Parker & Delaplaine”; endorsed with correct date by TJ.
- Delaplaine, Joseph; American Edition of the New Edinburgh Encyclopedia search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; letters to search
- Edinburgh Encyclopedia search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; reading habits of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; subscriptions search
- Parker, Edward; and American Edition of the New Edinburgh Encyclopedia search
- Parker, Edward; letters to search
- subscriptions, for publications; encyclopedias search
- The American Edition of the New Edinburgh Encyclopedia (Parker and Delaplaine) search