To George Jefferson
Monticello Apr. 15. 11.
I return you the note signed, and filled up with the former sum supposing it best not to change it till the next renewal, by which time mr Harrison’s note for the tobo will be in hand and due. Griffin wrote me on the 5th that he had then delivered 24. hhds to mr Harrison, and that 6. more were ready & would be opened in a few days, when mr H. would give his note for the whole payable in 60. days. I am very sensible of your kindness in having gone beyond my draughts, which I by no means intended. these were kept within the limits of the funds I then deemed on hand. the debt to Morris & Dunnington was contracted for the Bedford plantation & was to be paid from it’s crop. I had therefore engaged to M. & D. that they should recieve it out of the proceeds of the first of the Bedford flour which should get to market. Griffin writes me he should send off 100. barrels on the 9th inst. and had the promise of the rest for a short day afterwards. this therefore as well as what is going from here will shortly replace your advance to M. & D. in whose favor I had delayed drawing till the Bedford flour should be down, because I wish to shew my thankfulness for your friendly dispositions by not making an abusive use of them. ever affectionately yours
PoC (Goodspeed’s Book Shop, Boston, 1950); at foot of text: “Mr Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure not found.
The former sum owed by TJ to the Bank of Virginia was $5,800 (Jefferson to TJ, 11 June 1810). Burgess Griffin’s letters of 14 Jan., the 5th Apr., and 8 June 1811, not found, are recorded in SJL as received from Poplar Forest on 20 Jan., 14 Apr., and 28 June 1811. Missing letters from TJ to Griffin of 20 Oct., 12 Nov., 8 Dec. 1810, 6 Jan., 19 Apr., and 12 May 1811 are also recorded in SJL.
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- flour; from Poplar Forest search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and TJ’s bank and promissory notes search
- Griffin, Burgess; letters from accounted for search
- Griffin, Burgess; letters to accounted for search
- Griffin, Burgess; Poplar Forest overseer search
- Griffin, Burgess; witnesses land conveyance search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; buys tobacco from TJ search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and TJ’s bank note search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Morris & Dunnington (Lynchburg firm) search
- overseers; and sale of tobacco to S. J. Harrison search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); flour from search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); Overseers at; and sale of tobacco to S. J. Harrison search
- Richmond, Va.; Bank of Virginia search
- tobacco; sold to S. J. Harrison search