To William Chamberlayne
Monticello Apr. 4. 11.
Your favor of Feb. 6. was duly recieved. I am now beginning to get my crop to market where (Richmond) it will be deposited in the hands of Messrs Gibson & Jefferson for sale, and as soon as the proceeds shall be recieved I will send you an order for the amount of the negro hire as stated below. I have given credit for the time that Tom Buck worked as if he had been a sound hand, and charged nothing but his bread, which I actually purchased (for it was a new plantation) and paid 4. and 5. Dollars a barrel for it. I hope the statement will meet your approbation & tender you the assurance of my great respect.
Tom Lee, Frederic, Tom Buck & Nancy were hired for £50. their separate hire not being fixed. it is usual to estimate a woman at half the value of a man. according to this the 3. men would have been 47. D 62 c each and the woman 23.81.1 but as Tom Buck worked 2. months only his hire would be only 7.95 D as follows
|The hire of||Tom Lee||47.62|
|Cr. by paid James Lewis board & nursing||33.||26|
|by pd Dr Everett,2 attendce, operations Etc||24.|
|by 2½ barrels of corn @ 4.D.||10.|
PoC (MHi); between signature and postscript: “Genl Chamberlayne”; endorsed by TJ. Dft (MHi); undated; postscript only.
1. Dft to this point reads: “method of settling with Genl Chamberlayne for the hire of Tom Lee, Frederic, Tom Buck, & Nancy. the 4 were hired for £50. = 166.67 reckoning the woman at half the value of a man they would have stood thus.
| Tom Buck <
2. PoC: “Everarett.” Dft: “Everett.”
- Buck, Tom (slave) search
- Chamberlayne, William; and slaves of Shackelford estate search
- Chamberlayne, William; letters to search
- corn; TJ buys search
- Everette, Charles; account with TJ search
- Everette, Charles; treats slaves search
- Frederic (slave) search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and medical services for TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and slave rental by TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with C. Everette search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; slaves hired search
- Lee, Tom (Shackelford estate’s slave) search
- Lewis, James; tends to ill slave search
- Nancy (Shackelford estate’s slave) search
- Shackelford, Lyne; estate of search
- slaves; hired by TJ search
- slaves; valuation of search