To Archibald Stuart
Monticello Mar. 22. 11.
I some time ago (in Jan.) took the liberty of putting a letter for Peter Derieux under cover to you, supposing he lived in the neighborhood of Staunton. I have just now recd a letter from him dated Warrenton N.C. where it seems he is now settled. I have therefore to ask the favor of you to return the letter to me.
A letter from Washington informs me that a vessel is arrived at N. York bringing information that the Prince regent of England has appointed Ld Holland prime minister, Grenville Secretary of State, Moira Commander in chief, & is about to call a new parliament. it had come in Manuscript only to Washington, but was believed by the most judicious. if true, the new government means to make peace. Health, friendship & respect.
PoC (MoSHi: TJC-BC); at foot of text: “Judge Stewart”; endorsed by TJ.
- Derieux, Peter (Justin Pierre Plumard); TJ forwards letter to search
- George, Prince Regent (later George IV, king of Great Britain); as Prince of Wales search
- Grenville, William Wyndam Grenville, 1st Baron; British politician search
- Holland, Henry Richard Vassall Fox, 3d Baron search
- Moira, Francis Rawdon Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings and 2d Earl of search
- Stuart, Archibald; and P. Derieux search
- Stuart, Archibald; letters to search