From Theodorus Bailey
New York 18th March, 1811.
I do myself the honor to transmit to you herewith a copy of the Report of the Commissioners appointed by the Legislature of this state, to explore the Route of an Inland navigation, from the River Hudson to the great Lakes, Ontario and Erie.—A map of the western parts of this State; exhibiting the Route of the projected Canal, will be published in a few days=A Copy of this likewise will be forwarded to you, as soon as it can be obtained—
RC (MHi); endorsed by TJ as received 24 Mar. 1811 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Report of the Commissioners Appointed by Joint Resolutions of the Honorable Senate and Assembly of the State of New-York, of the 13th & 15th March, 1810, To Explore the Route of an Inland Navigation from Hudson’s River to Lake Ontario and Lake Erie (Albany, 1811).
TJ received a second copy of this report from Peter B. Porter, enclosed in a brief covering letter of 27 Mar. 1811 from Albany (RC in MHi; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Esquire Monticello Virginia”; franked and postmarked; endorsed by TJ as received 14 Apr. 1811 and so recorded [as a letter of 2 Mar. 1811] in SJL).
- Bailey, Theodorus; and map of N.Y. search
- Bailey, Theodorus; letters from search
- Bailey, Theodorus; Report of the Commissioners search
- canals; Erie search
- Erie Canal search
- Hudson River search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Lake Erie; proposed canal to search
- Lake Ontario; proposed canal to search
- maps; of projected Erie Canal search
- New York (state); maps of search
- New York (state); Report of the Commissioners search
- Porter, Peter Buell; and Report of the Commissioners search
- Porter, Peter Buell; letters from accounted for search
- Report of the Commissioners (Bailey and others) search