To William Duane
Monticello Jan. 26. 11.
Th: Jefferson returns to Colo Duane the two packages which he supposes to be the last. he has found them as correct as the earlier ones, and much more so than the three preceding. should he be mistaken in supposing these the last, some delay may attend any future ones, as he is just setting out to an establishment he has about 90. [miles]1 Southward (near Lynchburg) and probably will be absent three or four weeks. he salutes him with esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); dateline at foot of text; endorsed by TJ.
The packages, not found, consisted of part of the manuscript translation of Destutt de Tracy, Commentary and Review of Montesquieu’s Spirit of Laws.
1. Omitted word editorially supplied.
- Commentary and Review of Montesquieu’s Spirit of Laws (Destutt de Tracy); preparation of search
- Destutt de Tracy, Antoine Louis Claude; Commentary and Review of Montesquieu’s Spirit of Laws search
- Duane, William; and Destutt de Tracy’s works search
- Duane, William; letters to search
- French language; TJ translates works from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; translates Destutt de Tracy’s works search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ plans visit to search