From George Jefferson
Richmond 21st Janr 1811
I have duly received your favor of the 16th inclosing Jonathan Shoemaker & Son’s dft on Wm Underhill for 250$ at 15 days after date from the 15th, which Mr U— refuses to accept, and which I have of course had noted accordingly.—The reason assigned by Mr U. for not accepting is, that he has no funds in hand, & that it is contrary to his agreement with Messrs S—’s, for them to draw on him unless he has.—he however advises us to hold the dft until it becomes due, as, should he receive flour in time, he will take it up.
He apprehends that the S—’s might treat him as1 he says they have a Mr Dickenson: who made them an advance of 1000$, and recd no more flour from them afterwards.—They next, he tells me, got Mr Richard Anderson to make them an advance, who likewise was treated improperly by them.—This information you will of course consider as being for your own government, as Mr U— might not wish it to be made public, although he did not enjoin me to secrecy.
Your last quarterly account would have been forwarded as usual, but there was nothing to add to it except the bank discount, with which you were acquainted. Tobacco has fallen—the very best I2 suppose would not now command more than 8$, although some little of a very superior quality has sold as high as 10$.
RC (MHi); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 23 Jan. 1811 and so recorded in SJL.
TJ’s favor of the 16th and a letter from TJ to Jefferson of 25 Jan. 1811 are recorded in SJL but have not been found.
1. Jefferson here canceled “they have.”
2. Reworked from “we.”
- Anderson, Richard; and Shoemakers search
- Dickenson, John search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and payments to TJ search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to accounted for search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with Shoemakers search
- Shoemaker, Isaac; TJ’s account with search
- Shoemaker, Jonathan; ships flour to Richmond search
- Shoemaker, Jonathan; TJ’s account with search
- tobacco; price of in Richmond search
- Underhill, William search