To David Gelston
Monticello Dec. 7. 10.
A letter from Genl Armstrong informs me that he brought a plough for me in the vessel in which he came from France, and that on writing to you, you will have the goodness to forward it to my direction. I must therefore pray you to have it sent to Richmond, to the address of Messrs Gibson & Jefferson, who will not only pay the freight there, but any expences incurred at N. York if you will be so good as to put them into the Captain’s bill, it being difficult to remit from this place small fractional sums. I avail myself of this occasion of renewing to you the assurances of my great esteem & respect.
RC (ViU: TJP); at foot of text: “Mr Gelston”; lacking address cover. RC (Grace Floyd Delafield Robinson, Greenport, N.Y., 1947); address cover only; addressed: “David Gelston esq. New York”; franked; endorsed by Gelston. PoC (MHi); endorsed by TJ.
On 6 Dec. 1810 Andrew Scott, master of the ship Sally and a resident of Portland, wrote TJ from New York that he had deposited in the public storehouse there a case containing the plough, “free from any expense on the Ships acct” (RC in MHi; endorsed by TJ as received 29 Dec. 1810 and so recorded in SJL; with penciled notation: “given by W. K. Bixby March 13, 1913”). On 21 Dec. 1810 Gelston wrote TJ from New York acknowledging his letter, indicating that on that date he had shipped the plow to Gibson & Jefferson in Richmond, and advising that he had asked the firm to reimburse his advance to the captain of $1.99 in shipping charges (RC in MHi; at foot of text: “Mr Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 30 Dec. 1810 and so recorded in SJL).
- agriculture; implements of search
- Armstrong, John; and D. Parker’s double plow search
- Gelston, David; and D. Parker’s double plow search
- Gelston, David; letters from accounted for search
- Gelston, David; letters to search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and agricultural equipment acquired by TJ search
- Parker, Daniel (of Paris); and design for plow search
- plows.; D. Parker’s double search
- Sally (ship) search
- Scott, Andrew; letters from accounted for search