To William C. C. Claiborne
Monticello. Oct. 16. 10.
I have duly recieved your favor of the 10th. those of Aug. 11. 13. & 25. would have been sooner acknoleged also, but that your motions did not permit me to know whither to address a letter. I have to thank you for the various pieces furnished, and your many attentions to aid me in this suit. I have lately been much advised to rest the question on the plea that what I did was done by me as President of the US. without malice Etc and not to meddle with the question of right. this is urged from a desire to have the question constitutionally settled, whether one branch of the government is amenable to another for it’s official acts? but I think the right of1 Orleans a clear one, and will not abandon it. it is impossible the decision should be against it, if the proper evidence is collected. my counsel will in due time make a statement of what they wish to have proved, which we will then forward for your assistance. I recieved mr Moreau’s Memoir from mr Rodney by the last mail, so relieve you from the trouble of procuring that. I have not yet had time to look into it. his compilation of the laws of Orleans will be very necessary. I suppose the book of Spanish laws called the Recopilacion de Indias and the Partita of the laws of Castille are too scarce at New Orleans to be procured. I suppose they would be very important. Accept the assurances of my great esteem & respect
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “H.E. Govr Claiborne”; endorsed by TJ.
Louis Moreau Lislet’s compilation was entitled A Digest of the Civil Laws Now in Force in the Territory of Orleans (New Orleans, 1808).
1. TJ here canceled “New.”
- A Digest of the Civil Laws Now in Force in the Territory of Orleans (Kerr and Moreau Lislet) search
- Carleton, Henry; The Laws of Las Siete Partidas search
- Claiborne, William Charles Coles; letters to search
- Claiborne, William Charles Coles; procures batture documents for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; batture case pleadings search
- Kerr, Lewis; A Digest of the Civil Laws Now in Force in the Territory of Orleans search
- Louisiana (Spanish and French colony); laws governing search
- Moreau Lislet, Louis; A Digest of the Civil Laws Now in Force in the Territory of Orleans search
- Moreau Lislet, Louis; The Laws of Las Siete Partidas search
- Moreau Lislet, Louis; “Mémoire au soutien des droits des Etats-unis à la Batture du faubourg Ste Marie,” search
- Orleans Territory; TJ on batture rights of search
- Rodney, Caesar Augustus; and batture controversy search
- The Laws of Las Siete Partidas (Carleton and Moreau Lislet) search
- “Mémoire au soutien des droits des Etats-unis à la Batture du faubourg Ste Marie” (Moreau Lislet); W. C. C. Claiborne searches for search