To James Gibbon
Monticello Oct. 8. 10.
Your favor of Sep. 24. came duly to hand, and I return you my thanks for your attention to the sheep mr Jarvis has been so kind as to send me. I consider them as a most valuable acquisition, and should have sent for them1 ere now had the state of our river permitted it, that being the safest mode of bringing them. should that not give the opportunity within a few days, I shall send a cart for them, altho that will expose them to unavoidable risk. I have written on this subject to mr Jefferson. Accept, with my thanks, the assurances of my great respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Majr Gibbon”; endorsed by TJ.
1. TJ here canceled “sooner.”
- carts; to transport sheep search
- Gibbon, James; as collector at Richmond search
- Gibbon, James; letters to search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and animals acquired by TJ search
- Jarvis, William; and merino sheep search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and merino sheep search
- merino sheep; sent to TJ and J. Madison search
- Richmond, Va.; collector at search