From James Madison
Montpelier Aug. 15. 1810
I am offered the Services of a Mr Magee, now living with Mr Randolph, as an overseer. I have discountenanced his offer, partly from an ignorance of his character, but particularly from the uncertainty whether Mr R. means to part with him. Will you be kind eno’ by a line, merely to say 1st whether it is decided that he is not to remain where he is, the only condition on which I wd listen to a negociation. 2. whether his conduct as an overseer recommends him to attention.1
RC (DLC: Madison Papers); endorsed by TJ as received 15 Aug. 1810 and so recorded in SJL.
1. A paragraph ends here. Remainder of page clipped, with verso containing only TJ’s endorsement.
- Madison, James; letters from search
- McGehee, William; J. Madison seeks information on search
- Montpellier (Montpelier; J. Madison’s Orange Co. estate); overseers at search
- overseers; positions for search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); mentioned search
- Tufton (TJ’s Albemarle Co. estate); overseers at search