To James Madison
Monticello May 30. 10.
In the action brought against me by Edward Livingston, the counsel employed, Wirt & Hay (Wickham declining) desire me to furnish them with the grounds of defence, with as little delay as possible. the papers relating to the batture in the offices of State, the Treasury & war, will undoubtedly be needed to exhibit facts. I am now engaged on this subject, and not to give you unnecessary trouble I write to the Secretaries of State, Treasury & War directly, not doubting you will approve of their communicating what is necessary on the assurance of the papers being faithfully & promptly return d, after extracting material parts. one article I am obliged to trouble yourself for; to wit Moreau de l’Isle’s Memoir which I have never read; & yet am sure it is too able not to be the most important I can consult. will you be so good as to furnish me a printed copy if it has been printed or to lend the M.S. if not printed. I have copies of all the opinions printed before 1809. Poydras shewed me an argument of his in which I recollect that I thought there was one sound & new view. I have now forgotten it, & have no copy.
P.S. no rain since the 3d inst. every thing getting desperate.
RC (DLC: Madison Papers). PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “The Presidt US”; endorsed by TJ.
- Batture Sainte Marie, controversy over; TJ requests documents search
- Eustis, William; and batture controversy search
- Gallatin, Albert; and batture controversy search
- Hay, George; consults with TJ on batture case search
- Madison, James; and batture controversy search
- Madison, James; letters to search
- Moreau Lislet, Louis; on batture controversy search
- Poydras, Julien Lalande; and batture controversy search
- Smith, Robert; and batture controversy search
- State Department, U.S.; and batture controversy search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and batture controversy search
- War Department, U.S.; and batture controversy search
- weather; drought search
- Wickham, John; and batture controversy search
- Wirt, William; consults with TJ on batture case search