To William O. Allen
Monticello Apr. 20. 10.
I have duly recieved your favor of Feb. 9. with the copy of the publication called Love & Madness which it inclosed, & beg leave to return you my thanks for this mark of your attention. when I collected the proofs of the genuineness of Logan’s speech I did not know of this publication containing it. I afterwards recieved it from a friend. but that which you send me is of an edition older by several years than the one I had before recieved, & proving so much more strongly it’s earlier publication than in the Notes on Virginia. with my acknolegements for this kindness be pleased to accept the assurances of my respects.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Mr Wm O. Allens”; endorsed by TJ.
- Allen, William O.; and Logan’s speech search
- Allen, William O.; letters to search
- Croft, Sir Herbert; Love & Madness, A Story too True search
- Indians; Mingo search
- Indians; speeches by search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Notes on the State of Virginia search
- Logan, James (ca.1725–80) (Mingo Indian); speech of search
- Love & Madness, A Story too True (Croft) search
- Mingo Indians search
- Notes on the State of Virginia (Thomas Jefferson); and Native Americans search