To William W. Woodward
Monticello Apr. 18. 10.
Your favor of Mar. 30. is recieved, & from the account you give of the size of the 5th vol. of Scott’s bible I would prefer it’s being divided into two volumes in boards. the balance of 1.75 D shall be included in the first remittance I have occasion to make to any other person in Philadelphia, as I have no particular agent there. the books will come safest if put on board some vessel bound to Richmond addressed to the care of Messrs Gibson & Jefferson of that place. there is rarely a week that some vessel is not coming from Philadelphia to Richmond. having now ceased to add to my stock of books, I would not wish to extend my subscription to any other of those mentioned in your letter. Accept the assurance of my respect.
RC (ViU: TJP); addressed: “Mr W. W. Woodward Philadelphia”; franked; endorsed by Woodward. PoC (CSmH: JF-BA); endorsed by TJ.
- Bible; TJ orders copy of search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and books acquired by TJ search
- Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments (T. Scott) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Scott, Thomas; Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments search
- subscriptions, for publications; Bibles search
- Woodward, William Wallis; letters to search
- Woodward, William Wallis; TJ purchases books from search