From William W. Woodward
Philada March 30th 1810
Will you be kind enough to inform me, whether you will have your last Volume of Scotts Bible bound in one or two vols.—I mean in boards as the other three were, which you have receivd—the Volume is larger than the others by 2 or 300 pages—the difference in the price will be 75 cents making the whole, as you were an original subscriber, 21.75 cents of the amount you have been kind enough to pay 20 dolls. some time since— The Maps are in the engravers hands, and I expect to have them complete by Fall, with a Concordance and Tables—in boards 3 dolls. bound 4 dolls. Dr [Scott’s]1 Theological Writings, Sermons &c. are nearly done—three volumes will be ready in a few days, and the other two in May next. My edition, of the Bible,2 which was large has had an extensive circulation, and a call is made for another edition of this valuable work which I expect to commence before long. Dr Gill is going to Press in a few days.—Do me the kindness to say how I shall send the books you are to have.
W W Woodward
RC (CSmH: JF-BA); on folded sheet with enclosure comprising third page; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson, Esq. Monticello Virginia”; franked and postmarked; endorsed by TJ as received 15 Apr. 1810 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Books Published and Sold by W. W. Woodward, no. 52, South Second. The Corner of Chestnut-Street, Phi[l]adelphia. February, 1810 (printed circular conjoined with RC of covering letter; with Woodward’s handwritten comments about several upcoming works).
William Wallis Woodward (ca. 1770–1837), a printer, bookseller, and stationer, operated a shop in Philadelphia from 1793 until early in the 1830s. He specialized in the publication of religious works with broad interdenominational appeal (H. Glenn Brown and Maude O. Brown, A Directory of the Book-Arts and Book Trade in Philadelphia to 1820 , 127; Rosalind Remer, Printers and Men of Capital: Philadelphia Book Publishers in the New Republic , 73, 91, 132, 186n; Washington National Intelligencer, 23 Jan. 1837).
TJ paid Woodward 20 dolls. for the first American edition of Thomas Scott’s Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments, 5 vols. (Philadelphia, 1804–09; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 1471) on 21 Dec. 1807 (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1195). In 1811 Woodward published A Chronological Table and Scriptural Maps, to Accompany the Rev. Dr. Thomas Scott’s Family Bible, a work which included a concordance and religious dictionary by John Butterworth. The circular enclosed above announced that both another edition of Scott’s Bible and a ten-volume commentary by John gill on the Old and New Testaments would “shortly go to Press,” with Woodward adding by hand that production of the latter would begin “next week.” Woodward’s handwritten explanations also advised TJ that the six-volume duodecimo edition of The Works Complete of the Rev. James Hervey would cost subscribers $1 per volume, with three volumes completed and the others to be “out in the Fall,” and that Saurin’s Dissertations, in an anticipated six to eight octavo volumes with plates, “will be a Popular Theological Work.”
1. Omitted word editorially supplied.
2. Preceding three words inserted in margin.
- A Chronological Table and Scriptural Maps, to Accompany the Rev. Dr. Thomas Scott’s Family Bible search
- Bible; theological works about search
- Bible; TJ orders copy of search
- books; bound for TJ search
- books; published by W. W. Woodward search
- Butterworth, John search
- Discours historiques, critiques, théologiques et moraux (Saurin) search
- Gill, John (of Great Britain); biblical commentary of search
- Hervey, James; The whole works of the late Rev. James Hervey search
- Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments (T. Scott) search
- maps; biblical search
- Saurin, Jacques; Discours historiques, critiques, théologiques et moraux search
- Scott, Thomas; Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments search
- Scott, Thomas; Theological works search
- subscriptions, for publications; Bibles search
- Theological works (Scott) search
- The Whole Works of the late Rev. James Hervey (Hervey) search
- Woodward, William Wallis; identified search
- Woodward, William Wallis; letters from search
- Woodward, William Wallis; TJ purchases books from search