From George Jefferson
Richmond 19th Febr 1810.
Your two notes of 4000$ each have been discounted at the bank, and the one to Mr Venable for the 8000$ borrowed of Mrs Tabb, taken up of course.
RC (Mrs. Paul W. Howle, Richmond, 1944; photocopy in DLC: TJ Papers, ser. 10); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 22 Feb. 1810 and so recorded in SJL.
TJ’s favor of 15 Feb., not found but recorded in SJL, resulted from his purchase of forty barrels of corn from Richard G. Martin for $126.67. When Martin failed in his attempt to turn TJ’s draft on Gibson & Jefferson into money, TJ had written for the cash. Shortly thereafter Charlottesville merchant James Leitch accepted the draft and agreed to convey it to Richmond, upon which TJ returned $125 to the firm and asked that it be entered to his credit (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1253).
TJ’s letters to Jefferson of 1 and 21 Feb. are also recorded in SJL but not found. A missing letter from Jefferson to TJ of 16 Jan. 1810 is recorded in SJL as received from Richmond on 3 Feb. 1810. On 5 Feb. Jefferson sent TJ $150 “agreeably to your direction” (RC in possession of Mrs. Paul W. Howle, Richmond, 1944; at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 7 Feb. 1810 and so recorded in SJL).
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- corn; TJ buys search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and TJ’s bank and promissory notes search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and TJ’s bank note search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from accounted for search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to accounted for search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; debt to F. P. Tabb search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Leitch, James; accepts draft search
- Martin, Richard G. search
- Richmond, Va.; Bank of Virginia search
- Tabb, Frances Peyton; loan from search
- Venable, Abraham; and bank loan search