To George Jefferson
Monticello Jan. 3. 10.
I inclose you an order from John H. Craven on mr Richard Anderson for 250.D. founded on a sale of wheat for him, at 60. days. he writes to mr Anderson to procure a discount on the note he recieved so as to enable him to pay this immediately. on this fund, and the former balance in my favor I have drawn on you as follows.
|Dec. 19.||in favor of||Joseph Brand||107.17|
|Jan. 12.||Dabney Minor||131.40|
I have written to Gordon Trokes & co. for another quarter’s supply of groceries, and addressed them to you to know when mr Randolph’s boats will be with you to bring them. they are now on their return home, but will go off again immediately. will you be so good as to procure & send me at the same time a cask of mr Hay’s beer, which I am told is on a new establishment & good. if I find it so, I shall apply for a further supply if I can get it in bottles. can this be done, be so good as to pay Jefferson’s board & tuition to the day always1 that it may not be anticipated by mr Randolph, as I make a point to bear all his expences there. Affectionately yours
P.S. two of the above draughts were postdated as above that you might get into funds from the inclosed note.
PoC (ViRVal); postscript adjacent to signature; at foot of text: “Mr George Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure not found.
The payment to Joseph Brand was not for corn, but for lime and hay purchased by TJ between November 1806 and May 1809 (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1250). Gibson & Jefferson’s missing account to dec. 31 was probably enclosed in the firm’s letter to TJ of 1 Jan. 1810, not found, but recorded in SJL as received from Richmond on 14 Jan. 1810.
1. Word added in margin.
- alcohol; beer search
- Anderson, Richard; and account with J. H. Craven search
- beer; TJ orders search
- Bishop, Joseph; TJ pays search
- boats; transfer goods to and from Richmond search
- Brand, Joseph; TJ pays search
- corn; TJ buys search
- Craven, John H.; TJ’s account with search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and education of T. J. Randolph search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); letters from accounted for search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; Richmond academy search
- Gordon, Trokes & Company (Richmond firm); and groceries for TJ search
- groceries; purchased by TJ search
- Hay, Mr. search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and goods for TJ search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and T. J. Randolph search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with J. H. Craven search
- Minor, Dabney; sells corn to TJ search
- Randolph, Thomas Eston (TJ’s cousin); boats of, transfer goods search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); education of search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); and T. J. Randolph search
- Richmond, Va.; boats transfer goods to and from search
- Richmond, Va.; L. H. Girardin’s academy at search
- Richmond, Va.; TJ orders groceries from search
- schools and colleges; L. H. Girardin’s academy (Richmond) search
- Tufton (TJ’s Albemarle Co. estate); sale of wheat from search
- Tufton (TJ’s Albemarle Co. estate); wheat grown at search
- wheat; at Tufton search