Authorization to Thomas Mann Randolph to Sell Land
The bearer hereof, Thomas Mann Randolph is authorized by me to make sale of any portion of my Poplar Forest lands, and I oblige myself to confirm the same and to convey a title accordingly. Given under my hand at Monticello this 15th day of December 1809.
PoC (MHi); endorsed by TJ: “Randolph. TM. Dec. 15. 09.” Not recorded in SJL.
Randolph faced a financial crisis caused by his own debts, the heavy mortgage with which Varina, his Henrico County plantation, had been encumbered when his father gave it to him as a wedding present in 1790, other charges against his father’s estate, and the additional burden imposed by his brother William’s bankruptcy. He borrowed $5,600 from George Hay in 1807, pledging Edgehill as security. In January 1809 TJ offered to let Randolph sell two of his Albemarle County possessions and apply the proceeds to some of his most pressing needs. Neither that nor the above initiative bore fruit, but early in 1810 Randolph and his wife, TJ’s daughter Martha, obtained relief by selling land in Bedford County that TJ had given them at the time of their marriage (William H. Gaines Jr., Thomas Mann Randolph: Jefferson’s Son-in-Law , 76–8; PTJ description begins Julian P. Boyd, Charles T. Cullen, John Catanzariti, Barbara B. Oberg, and others, eds., The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, 1950– , 31 vols. description ends , 16:189–91, 27:294–5; TJ to Randolph, 17, 31 Jan. 1809 [DLC]; Thomas Mann Randolph and Martha Jefferson Randolph’s Conveyance of Bedford County Lands, [before 19 Feb. 1810]).
- Hay, George; loans money search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; authorizations to sell land search
- Randolph, Martha Jefferson (Patsy; TJ’s daughter; Thomas Mann Randolph’s wife); sells land in Bedford Co. search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); and sale of part of Poplar Forest search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); financial difficulties search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); sells land in Bedford Co. search
- Randolph, William (Thomas Mann Randolph’s brother) search