To John Wayles Eppes
Monticello Dec. 8. 09
I should sooner have informed you of Francis’s safe arrival here but that the trip you meditated to N. Carolina rendered it entirely uncertain where a letter would find you. nor had I any expectation you could have been at the first meeting of Congress till I saw your name in the papers brought by our last post. disappointed in sending this by the return of the post, I avail myself of General Clarke’s journey to Washington for it’s conveyance. Francis has enjoyed constant & perfect health, and is as happy as the day is long. he has had little success as yet with either his traps, or bow & arrows. he is now engaged in a literary contest with his cousin Virginia, both having begun to write together. as soon as he gets to z (being now only at h) he promises you a letter.
You will expect no political news hence. you are at the source from whence it is to flow. I find here but one general sentiment of indignation against mr Jackson both as to the matter & manner of his offers. I am not disappointed as to his matter, but as to his manner I am. I expected he would be oily, wily & able. I find him rude, malignant, & muddy headed. as to the question what is to be done, I do not puzzle myself with it. satisfied that that will be done which is wisest & best, I am predetermined to concur in it, well knowing that if we all pull together we shall be safe, in whatever direction we move. knowing the drudgery of letter-writing which oppresses the members, I shall ask nothing from you but to inform us at times of your health and to be assured of my constant affection & respect.
RC (ViU: TJP); addressed: “The honble John W. Eppes Washington”; franked; postmarked 15 Dec. in Richmond. PoC (DLC).
- Clark (Clarke), William; travels to Washington search
- Congress, U.S.; opens search
- education; at Monticello search
- Eppes, Francis Wayles (TJ’s grandson); education of, at Monticello search
- Eppes, John Wayles (TJ’s son-in-law); and Ways and Means Committee search
- Eppes, John Wayles (TJ’s son-in-law); letters to search
- Eppes, John Wayles (TJ’s son-in-law); travels to N.C. search
- House of Representatives, U.S.; Ways and Means Committee search
- Jackson, Francis James; recall of search
- Jackson, Francis James; TJ on search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Family & Friends; relations with grandchildren search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); schooling at search
- Trist, Virginia Jefferson Randolph (TJ’s granddaughter); education of search