From George Jefferson
Richmond 20th Novr 1809
I have sold your Tobacco to Samuel Myers at 39/6 at 60 days, having had it reviewed, which I found absolutely necessary, as some persons who saw it inspected, said it was of so inferior a quality, that I found I1 could not otherwise get an offer for it.—I should have done better with it, (Tobo having risen)2 but most of the stemmed part was very ordinary indeed.
You will receive an account of the sale inclosed. As the Overseers probably stand in need of their part, they can draw as if the sale had been for cash.
Mr Girardin has just sent me the inclosed acct by one of his pupils—I intended to have gone with Jefferson and paid it, but he has not called on me since I last wrote you.—I of course informed him that I was directed by you, to let him have money whenever he required it.—He has drawn 50$ from Mr Norvell I understand, on acct of his Father.—I informed him particularly that I was to pay his board.
RC (MHi); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 22 Nov. 1809 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Account between TJ and Louis Hue Girardin, consisting of an entry of 14 Nov. 1809 for $19.25 for one quarter’s tuition for Thomas Jefferson Randolph “from this date (Sciences and french, with usual qrly che Extra),” another of 16 Nov. 1809 for $1 for a copy of Nicolas Wanostrocht, A Grammar of the French Language, with Practical Exercises (1st ed. ca. 1782; 1st American ed. Boston, 1805), and indication that Gibson & Jefferson paid in full on 20 Nov. 1809 (MS in MHi; entirely in Girardin’s hand; endorsed by Girardin). Other enclosure printed below.
1. Preceding two words interlined.
2. Parenthetical phrase interlined.
- A Grammar of the French Language, with Practical Exercises (Wanostrocht) search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; Richmond academy search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; TJ’s account with search
- Griffin, Burgess; share of crops sold search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with L. H. Girardin search
- language; books on French search
- Norvell, Mr. search
- overseers; crop share of search
- Page, Samuel (Poplar Forest overseer); share of crops search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); Overseers at; crop share of search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); education of search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); and T. J. Randolph search
- Richmond, Va.; L. H. Girardin’s academy at search
- schools and colleges; L. H. Girardin’s academy (Richmond) search
- Wanostrocht, Nicolas; A Grammar of the French Language, with Practical Exercises search