To George Jefferson
Monticello Oct. 10. 09
According to my letter of the 8th I had yesterday given to mr Woods our sheriff an order on you for the amount of my taxes 69. D 67 C something less than I had expected. last night I recieved my quarterly account & found that in the estimate I had made of my funds in your hands I had lost sight of the 240.D. interest on my note. not immediately prepared to make a new provision for my taxes I must pray you to honor the draught & I will take the speediest measures in my power to cover the deficiency. I expect to be at Eppington on the 15th & in Richmond the 20th.
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Mr George Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ.
Micajah Woods was deputy sheriff of Albemarle County (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1231, 1248). SJL confirms that on 9 Oct. 1809 TJ recieved an undated letter from George Jefferson enclosing his quarterly account, July–September 1809, neither of which has been found.
- Albemarle County, Va.; Woods, Micajah (deputy sheriff) search
- Eppington (Eppes’s Chesterfield Co. estate); TJ plans to visit search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from accounted for search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; pays taxes search
- taxes; TJ pays search
- Woods, Micajah; deputy sheriff search