Notes on Distances between Monticello and Montpellier
[ca. 25 Sept. 1809]
|1809. Sep. 22.1||m|
|Montico to Gordon’s||20.|
|Gordon’s to Lindsay’s||3.17|
|Lindsay’s to pub. road||2.38|
|to the store||2.02|
MS (DLC: TJ Papers, 233:41691); entirely in TJ’s hand; undated; written on a small scrap.
On his way to or from Montpellier, TJ often stayed at his friend Reuben lindsay’s home in northeastern Albemarle County (Woods, Albemarle description begins Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia, 1901, repr. 1991 description ends , 257; MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends ).
1. TJ here canceled “23. 24. 25.”
- Gordon’s Tavern (Gordonsville) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Travels; notes on distances between Monticello and Montpellier search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Notes on Distances between Monticello and Montpellier search
- Lindsay, Reuben; home of on route to Montpellier search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); distance from Montpellier search
- Montpellier (Montpelier; J. Madison’s Orange Co. estate); distance from Monticello search