To John Barnes
Monticello Aug. 3. 09.
Your favor of the 26th ult. came to hand by the last post. that of June 23. had been recieved in due time, & I had not adverted to the copy of the order it inclosed respecting Genl K’s Pensylvania bank stock. I now inclose you an order to recieve it. I am very happy at being released from the bank in a way to incommode nobody. I am distressed by old mr Shoemaker your neighbor, who has rented a mill of me two years without paying as yet a cent. he promises fair but never performs. can you give me any information of his circumstances. he has the mill for 3. years to come at 1250.D. a year.
I was so unfortunate as to lose one of my trunks of valuable effects & papers which came by water from Washington. it was stolen from the boat on James river, plundered & destroyed, and the culprit is under trial & will doubtless be hung for it. some such example is much wanting to render property waterborne secure. wishing you many years of health & happiness I salute you affectionately
P.S. I inclose my bank book according to request, & a letter concerning some things addressed to you for me from N. Orleans, but of which I fear you have heard nothing since, as I have not.
PoC (DLC); below signature: “Mr Barnes.” Enclosure: TJ to Jonathan Smith, 3 Aug. 1809, directing him “to pay to the order of John Barnes the amount of the half year’s dividend, due & payable on General Kosciuszko’s twenty shares of Pensylvania bank stock” (RC from Roy G. Fitzgerald, Dayton, Ohio, 1950, below signature: “To Jonathan Smith esq. Cashier of the bank of Pensylva Philadelphia,” notation, probably by Smith, at foot of text: “Charge Tho Jefferson 320$”; Dft in ViU: TJP-ER, in Barnes’s hand, dated July 1809). Enclosed bank book not found.
- Bank of Pennsylvania; stock owned by T. Kosciuszko search
- Bank of the United States; loan through J. Barnes and J. Madison search
- Barnes, John; cosigns loan to TJ with J. Madison search
- Barnes, John; letters from accounted for search
- Barnes, John; letters to search
- Brown, William; letters to mentioned search
- James River; trunk lost on search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Pennsylvania stock of search
- rent; due from Shoemakers search
- Shadwell mills; rent for search
- Shoemaker, Jonathan; rent due from search
- Smith, Jonathan; letters to accounted for search
- trunk, lost in return from Washington; presumed lost search