From Kimber & Conrad
Philadel. 6 mo 7th 1809
We are engaged in the Publication of a work of the first Character and importance, which has recently appeared in London, edited by John Pinkerton, Author of Modern Geography &c. The prospectus, which developes the Plan the Author has pursued, we have directed to be handed to thee with this note, by John Hellings who is engaged in obtaining subscribers; and as the undertaking is a very arduous one and far more extensive than any thing of the kind, hitherto undertaken in the United States, we take the Liberty of requesting thee, if thou should approve the work, to favor us with thy subscription1—
Kimber & Conrad
RC (MWA); at foot of text: “To Thomas Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 7 Aug. 1809 and so recorded in SJL.
Kimber & Conrad was a book-publishing firm at 93 High Street, Philadelphia. Emmor Kimber and Solomon White Conrad started their partnership about 1806 and continued together for a decade. About 1816Conrad began his own business and later became professor of botany at the University of Pennsylvania and librarian of the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia (James Robinson, The Philadelphia Directory for 1806 [Philadelphia, 1806] and The Philadelphia Directory for 1816 [Philadelphia, 1816]; Kimber to TJ, 22 Mar. 1816; DSB description begins Charles C. Gillispie, ed., Dictionary of Scientific Biography, 1970–80, 16 vols. description ends , 3:391).
Scottish historian John pinkerton was the author of a Modern Geography, 2 vols. (Philadelphia, 1804; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 3827). The prospectus, not found, described the forthcoming American edition of his new work, A General Collection of the Best and Most Interesting Voyages and Travels, in all Parts of the World, 6 vols. (Philadelphia, 1810–12).
1. Manuscript: “subscrption.”
- A General Collection of the Best and Most Interesting Voyages (Pinkerton) search
- Conrad, Solomon White search
- geography; books on search
- Hellings, John; and book trade search
- Kimber, Emmor; publisher search
- Kimber & Conrad (Philadelphia firm); identified search
- Kimber & Conrad (Philadelphia firm); letters from search
- Kimber & Conrad (Philadelphia firm); solicits book subscription search
- Kimber & Sharpless (Philadelphia firm) search
- Modern Geography (J. Pinkerton); recommended by Kimber & Conrad search
- Pinkerton, John; A General Collection of the Best and Most Interesting Voyages search
- Pinkerton, John; Modern Geography search
- Sharpless, Blakey search