To George Jefferson
Monticello Apr. 19. 09.
The articles sent by mr Randolph’s boats are arrived safe, except a trunk No 28. your note by the boatmen mentions 4. trunks. they brought only 3. & suppose they recieved no more, which I presume is the fact as the contents could not be useful to them or easily disposed of. the contents were almost entirely stationary, with a mathematical machine & some odd things intermixed. it has probably been left by mistake. I really rejoice that this is the last great parcel of packages1 with which I shall have occasion to trouble you. smaller matters will always be dropping in; but they will not occupy so much of your warehouse. of this kind I expect daily an address to you of 2. kentals of Dumb fish & some tongues & sounds2 for me from Genl Dearborne at Boston, which will come safest by mr Randolph’s boats if they should be passing. I must ask the favor of you to procure & send me, by the return of his boats, a bag of cotton of about 50 ℔. do we stand any chance of getting cotton seed with you. not a seed is to be had here. I salute you affectionately.
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Mr G. Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ.
your note: List of Goods Sent by George Jefferson, with Thomas Jefferson’s Notes, 11 Apr. 1809. kentals: quintals, or hundredweight. The tongues and sounds (air bladders) of codfish were considered delicacies. They were usually soaked, boiled, and then fricasseed, or the sounds were served with sauce (Mary Randolph, The Virginia House-Wife , 75–6, 234).
1. Preceding two words interlined.
2. Preceding five words interlined.
- boats; transfer goods to and from Richmond search
- cod; tongues and sounds search
- cotton; TJ orders seed search
- Dearborn, Henry; sends fish to TJ search
- fish; tongues and sounds search
- food; cod tongues and sounds search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to search
- paper; in lost trunk search
- Richmond, Va.; boats transfer goods to and from search
- scientific instruments; in lost trunk search
- trunk, lost in return from Washington; contents of search