To Philip Barraud
Washington Jan. 15. 1802.
Th: Jefferson presents his compliments to Doctr. Barraud and sends him some vaccine virus recently taken here by Doctr. Gantt.
Philip Barraud (1757–1830) was a physician, surgeon, and proprietor of a medicine shop in Norfolk. He first practiced in Williamsburg, where he served as physician to the public hospital for the insane during the late 1790s and was closely acquainted with St. George Tucker and Bishop James Madison. Moving to Norfolk in 1799, he took charge of the marine hospital there, but was replaced by navy surgeon George Balfour in 1801 as a cost-cutting measure put forth by Albert Gallatin. Efforts by Tucker and Bishop Madison on Barraud’s behalf, however, helped him regain the Norfolk appointment following Balfour’s dismissal in June 1802. Barraud remained with the marine hospital until his death (Wyndham B. Blanton, Medicine in Virginia in the Eighteenth Century [Richmond, 1931], 87, 294–5, 343–4, 403; E. M. Barraud, Barraud: The Story of a Family [London, 1967], 38–9; Madison, Papers, Sec. of State Ser., 1:88–9; 2:88, 104–5; 8:556, 559; Robert Smith to George Balfour, 21 June 1802, in Lb in DNA: RG 45, LSO; Vol. 29:488–9; Vol. 34:68; Vol. 35:219–21, 268, 358).