Thomas Jefferson Papers

From Thomas Jefferson to David Ross, 26 May 1781

To David Ross

Monticello May 26th. 1781


I am exceedingly at a Loss to judge whether it be better to try the Method of Application to the new Commanding Officer for a Passport and run the Risk of losing another Month or two, or to pursue the former plan of applying immediately to Charlestown. With Respect to myself however I can more easily determine that the sending to Charlestown having had the Approbation of Council and having a Prospect within two Days of divesting myself of my Office it would not be proper for me to enter on a new Plan. Nevertheless I think it would be adviseable for Mr. Maury to wait a few Days, that my Successor who will have to go through with any Plan that may be adopted may also chuse such one as he shall think best. I am &c.,

Thomas Jefferson

FC (Vi). TJ apparently changed his mind; see his second letter to Lafayette of 30 May 1781.

Index Entries