List of Papers Given to Nathaniel Pendleton
[New York, July 19, 1804]
There were inclosed under this cover and delivered to me after the death of General Hamilton
1. His will1
2. Deed of trust to John B Church, Jno Laurence, & Genl Clarkson2
3. State of his Property & Debts with remarks3
4 Remarks explanatory of his conduct motives & views in his expected interview4
5 Note to myself5
6. Letter to Mrs. Hamilton6
7. Letter to John B Church inclosing an Assignment of some debts.7
8. Letter to Mrs. Mitchell inclosing 400 dollars as was mentioned on the outside. Sealed8
9. Letter to Geo: Mitchell inclosing a lottery ticket, as mentioned on the outside. Sealed.9
10 Memorandum of some fees received after his Engagement which he considers as part of his debts10
The packet was Opened by me in the presence of
David A Ogden and Washington Morton11 on the
day of his death
ADS, New-York Historical Society, New York City.
7. See “Assignment of Debts and Grant of Power of Attorney to John B. Church,” July 9, 1804. The covering letter from H to Church has not been found.
11. Morton, who was married to Elizabeth Hamilton’s sister Cornelia, and Ogden were New York City lawyers.