To Jonathan Williams, Jr.
Copy: Library of Congress
Passy, Feb. 6. 1782.
Are there any American Vessels with you that want Freight, and would go under Convoy to Philadelphia or Chesapeak, and can render themselves at Brest by the Beginning of next Month to take in.5 If there are [please]6 to let me know what Quantity of Tons they Can carry, and on what Terms they will engage. I am. &c.
To Mr. Williams, and the Same to Mr. Nesbit.
5. BF expected the Alliance to sail from Brest in early March. A convoy had been organized to sail from Brest that was intended to resupply French troops in Virginia, but it was Postponed, and by November, 1782, had been canceled: BF to Barry, Feb. 10, below; Lee Kennett, The French Forces in America, 1780–1783 (Westport, Conn., and London, 1977), p. 161. See also BF to Barclay, Feb. 4, above.
6. L’Air de Lamotte had written “pleasant”.