Philadelphia 20th: Feby 1801
The object of my writing at this moment is to comply with a Suggestion made, through Mr: Breck, by a great number of the most respectable and influential Merchants of this place, who have taken the alarm respecting the conditional ratification of the Convention with France, and who are now extremely anxious, that another reconsideration of it on the part of the Senate should, if possible be had. It is presumed, that the Convention, if not already signed by the President, is under consideration, and the Merchants of this town are writing to our Senators to instruct them to ask, that the President will return the treaty, for the sake of its receiving an unconditional ratification by the Senate—How far these after thoughts can be attended to, in this Stage of the business, I cannot undertake to judge, and I only write for the purpose of conveying the <
wishes> opinions of these gentlemen, that if a delay of a few days, on the part of the President in affixing his signature be still practicable, the time will be improved to produce a more Satisfactory ratification of the Treaty. The Chamber of Commerce is convened by public notice tomorrow evening, and whatever resolutions they may adopt will reach Washington on Wednesday evening—
My Mother and the rest of the family are well—We shall set out on the 22d: for NYork—
I am dear Sir / respectfully your Son
T: B Adams—
MHi: Adams Papers.